Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reflections on the HB Swing Pass

So I haven't taken any game notes recently, but I've been playing a good deal, and I have been incorporating the HB swing pass into my offense more and more.

First, in Shotgun Trips, there is an actual play called "HB Swing Pass"; the trips receivers all block, and the HB swings out behind them. The play works like a screen pass, but without the giveaway blocking and the slow development.

Second, the HB swing pattern is a part of a lot of pass plays; I've found the most success out of I-Form Twins, running WR Slants. The two receivers slant in, the TE opposite them slants out, the FB swings beneath the TE, and the HB swings beneath the receivers. Against man defense, the HB almost always beats the linebacker or safety to the outside; as the receivers are slanting in, the corners follow them, leaving the weak side of the field wide open for the HB to turn it up field.

A few players have sent me messages (or screamed via the in-game audio) that this is "cheese", because it seems to work every time. But the play really only works against man coverage, and can be at least contained if there are safeties playing over the top; a lot of players I've encountered, though, are running nearly constant man-blitzes. This not only takes away the safety support, but also often messes up the coverage assignments, so the HB is often being chased across the field by a linebacker that starts five or seven yards out of position. Against that defense, the play is good for at least twenty yards every time.

I guess my general thought here is that people rely on one type of defense, and then when you figure out how to exploit that defense, they accuse you of cheesing. Whatever: if you're gonna blitz me every down, and leave the HB uncovered every down as a result, then I'm going to keep scoring touchdowns.

Also, try the HB swing. It's a great, easy to install addition to any offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment