Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Playbook Design

I really gotta get back to game notes, but I also want to keep posting (so my single reader stays happy).

I thought I would write a bit about my playbook design. I use Air Force's playbook as a base (because it has the power I Goal-Line set). I use Weak-I Twins, Strong-I Twins, I-Form Twins, I-Form Slot, Flexbone Normal, and Shotgun Normal, Spread, Trips, F-Wing.

I operate under two seemingly contrasting principles: simplicity and variety.

I aim for simplicity to reduce the stress of play-calling. I don't have more than nine plays in any of the formations, so all of my plays are available either on the initial playcalling screen or with one scroll. I also re-order my plays so similar concepts are in the same locations. For example, the A-button play on the first screen for all the non-Shotgun formations is a fullback dive; the X-button is a HB dive. This way I can change my formation but still execute a basic concept with ease.

More generally, I organize the entire playbook around basic concepts: FB/HB dives, outside options, HB swing/flare passes, TE crosses, deep attacking patterns (posts/go's/seams). No matter the formation, I am basically working with the same palette.

I spent the first several weeks with the game just editing the playbook down, which made me much more efficient in online matches; once my AOL began to go up, I found that I encountered situations where I needed more options.

To add variety, I first went back to my defensive playbook. I typically avoid slow developing blitzes, especially zone-blitzes, but I found that good opponents were able to patiently beat my conservative, 2-man under coverages. I added some odd blitzes that, under normal circumstances, I would avoid because of the incomplete coverages they offer, but, given the right circumstance, might just be confusing enough to produce a key 3rd down stop.

For my offense, I added some corner attack patterns and a few screen passes. I usually avoid both concepts (because they are very slow to develop, and leave the QB vulnerable), but they can both be situationally advantageous (screens when your opponent is either blitzing or playing soft zones, corner attack patterns when your opponent is playing a lot of cover-2).

I guess the most important thing is to arrange your playbook such that is has sufficient variety to attack any scheme, but in a way that you are able to call your favorite plays quickly and without scrolling for them.

1 comment:

  1. Word on the street is that you're top 300 in this game now. Hank would like an online challenge to knock you off your perch

    ReplyDelete