Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Legal Theory

I should slow down, there's no way I can keep up this pace.

Game 3
Opponent: LAWS13
Team: Oklahoma St.
Better User Name: 13LAWS
Record: 60-50 (or so-I have to get quicker about writing that down)

Seriously, isn't 13LAWS way cooler? Laws13 looks like Johnny Laws was the 13th kid to try his last name; 13LAWS is mysterious, apocalyptic, religious, etc...Plus, it helps me organize this post.

Law 1: Patience.
I started the game with the ball; went tackled for loss, incomplete, then had to hit a long corner route to convert on 3rd and 12. Johnny had played the run well, covered the crossing pattern with his FS well, oh no my offense is ruined! But, because I have patience, I went right back to the run and short passes, ate some clock, 7-0.

Law 2: Patience.
Johhny's offense begins with the QB taking the snap, then immediately sprinting away from his offensive line. Let your linemen get into their blocks and slow down the rush before you take off. This offensive "strategy" resulted in two pressured throws then a TAINT when his QB was hit releasing the ball. Stay in the pocket, dude. 14-0.

Law 3: Patience.
Jonny adapted to the SS blitzes on his next possession, letting his blockers set before sprinting away from them, and drove to my 30. He sees that I am consistently in man coverage, and he's beating it; he uses the hurry-up, hoping to exploit this defense a bit more. I audible to zone, he doesn't notice, and he snaps then immediately throws to his tight end, who is covered by three defenders, and the pass is intercepted. Try to avoid throwing without reading the coverage first; be sure of the defense, then make your decision.

Law 4: Patience.
I'm looking for a three score lead; Joohnny is alternating between Cover 2 and Cover 2 Under. Either way, I'm killing him with the post. The key is to let your split ends get far enough upfield to draw the safeties away from the middle of the field; they head towards the sideline, and there's no one left to watch the baby. Hit the slot as he makes his break. Five plays and I'm up 21-0.

Law 5: Patience.
I guess Jawnhy knows what he's doing, because he scored a touchdown. He has done nothing, absolutely nothing, but scramble around and throw deep to Dez Bryant (WR#1). But I know that, in the long run, this is stupid, and I will win. I will be patient and understanding of his bad tactical decisions.

Law 6: Patience.
Jhonny is now running Cover 2 Buc; I applaud him for plugging the middle of the field with the MLB. But now he's only rushing 3, maybe 4, and his defenders are all spread out in a deep zone. I just let my O-line get into their blocks, let the field spread, and then take off straight ahead for 3 or 4 yards. Sometimes I break a tackle and it turns into 7 or 8. I'll take that all day. 28-7.


Law 11: Refer to law 7, 8, 9, or 10 when you sack a QB three times in a row to bring up 4th and 36 and then Jahny Laws goes for it from his own 12 and throws a 50 yard pass into quadruple coverage and his WR outjumps your safety, two cornerbacks, and an outside linebacker to make the catch.

Law 12: Patience.
Eventually, you will figure it out. Okay, so Joony wants to scramble around and throw to Bryant. Fine. I will double cover Bryant, plus a safety in zone coverage, and I will control my QB spy and run this QB down. One-dimensional offenses won't beat you if you are patient and piece together an appropriate defensive response. Figure out what they want to do, and don't let them do it.

Law 13: Patience.
John's circuits are fried because his offense isn't working (HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!?). He is stuck in Cover 2 Buc, even though I worked it over last possession. Just like on defense, when your opponent is one-dimensional, you just need to think your way through it. He's got a super soft zone going on, so I'm going to throw underneath, work the flats, and maybe mix in some screens (which work best against zone coverage). I don't really need to at this point, but it's good to get reps with different concepts. Pretty straightforward drive, 35-14, and "The connection to your opponent has been lost" (TCTYOHBL, or, he quit).

His stats at quitting time: 7 for 17, 1 TD, 4 INT's. Sacked 6 times for -28 yards. My stats: 24 rushes for 126 yards, 19 for 23 and 4 TD's through the air. 19 first downs (grindin).

My friend Dante made up (to my knowledge) "molly-wopped". Deal with that.


1 comment:

  1. Dante looks like a baby in that youtube. No way that was only 2008


    I'm encouraged by your success because when i lived in Tally that summer before your and 80 moved, I played some a lot of Madden on Live and it was kinda lame. Because it only played on Pro difficulty by default, the computer players were so awful and coverage was miserable so it was best to just spread it out and go deep every play because the CBs would always lose a WR in man or leave holes in zone.

    I did switch over to a killer option offense as the vikings with Adrian All Day Peterson and tavaris jackson. It was hard to stop it on Pro even if they knew it was coming (even with the bad pitching) because 1 of 3 plays i'd break for 15+yards. Then i'd just throw a crossing pattern to mix it up or occasional FB dive out of the same formation. I started beating nationally ranked players and one even sent me multiple Live messages telling me how i'm a fag and the option is a fag play that only fags use. I felt good about myself.

    ReplyDelete