Friday, September 14, 2012

Status Update

Okay, so I am currently ranked 115 on Xbox Live; I'm 48-17. I play with Florida (the Orange and Blue Victorious).

Let's talk defense. I run a 4-3, conservative scheme. Every formation starts with a Cover-2 Under (man coverage with both safeties in a deep zone); I call this play about 80% of the time on defense. I match up defensive backs to WR as a default: 2 WR, 4-3; 3 WR, nickel; 4 or 5 WR, dime. This may change once I see what sort of plays my opponent likes to run, especially if he's consistently gashing me on the ground or in the air.

In the nickel and dime formations, I generally use a LB-rush package, which swaps out the DE's for LB's. This gives me a little more speed on the pass rush, and also gives me more options for pre-snap adjustments. Nearly every online player uses a team with a mobile quarterback (or maybe just more and more of the really good teams in real CFB have mobile quarterbacks), so it's often necessary to spy the QB. Using the LB-rush package gives me extra LB's to spy with.

I'll typically spy one of the rushing LB's and crash the D-Line to the defensive left (QB's right). This forces the QB to move to his left, and since most QB's are right-handed this decreases their accuracy/mobility. I can get pretty consistent pressure around the edge, or at least get the QB moving away from his throwing hand.

Depending on the down and distance, I'll change the coverage to press. If my opponent is relying on a lot of timing routes, I'll press to throw the WR's off. If he likes to test the coverage downfield, I'll keep the CB's in their regular slots (I rarely back off the coverage, as this gives WR's way too much time to get into a slant or drag route).

Let's see...I also default to a hot-read pass to mitigate the effect of play-action. I'll most frequently control a safety over the top, or, if my opponent is running a lot or hitting a lot of underneath routes, I'll grab a LB. In long distance downs, I'll control a pass-rusher. I'm not very good at getting through blocks, but I find that the user icon on a pass-rusher tends to draw the QB's eyes.

All of this adds up to a defense that's really hard to move the ball quickly against, and if the offense over-relies on one play or type of play, I can get in and disrupt things with a LB.

Okay, honest, more to come. Maybe offense and playbook breakdown next...

1 comment: