Friday, September 14, 2012

A game! Finaly, a game!

Game 1
Opponent: baylorRB28
Record: 69-33
Team: Texas (selling out his Bears...)
Better User Name: BRB28

A fine record for BRB coming into this game, let's see what he's got.

He gets the ball to start, converts a long 3rd down on a deep WR comeback, but then punts on the next 4th down. Straightforward running game, haven't seen any gimmicks in the passing game yet.

My first possession set the tone for the game: I hit a wide open TE in the back, then a pass is tipped at the line, and then my FB drops a 1st down completion. I punt.

Our boy goes three and out, mixing in some option. Ensuing position, I hit a drag for a first down, then a completion to my TE's outside shoulder on a seam route, beats the safety to the endzone, 7-0. Opponent was in a lot of Cover 1, so if the LB's are covering the TE then I'm going to have the outside shoulder open most of the game. 

He scores next possession, then I drive to the ten with a couple TE seam throws (to the outside shoulder), but then I fumble at the five. His possession is extended by a roughing the passer penalty, but he gets sacked on 4th down around midfield. With 55 seconds in the first half, I scramble twice for a small gain, then hit two more TE seams. Halftime, 14-7.

Most notable thing in the second half was an "Illegal Touching" penalty; what is this? It was thrown when I hit a receiver downfield after a prolonged stay in a rush-less pocket. It happens when the defense runs the all-spy scheme. Glitch? 

Rest of the half goes about the same. His offense is fine, but he had difficulty finding open receivers and staying in the pocket. He more or less abandoned the run game once he was down in the second half, so it was a lot of soft Cover-2 Under and that's hard to beat. To his credit, he did fake a punt, but it was stopped about 3 yards short of the 1st down. Ran out the clock for most of second half, conservative tempo and ground game: counter, counter, power-O, counter, jet sweep, td. 31-14 at the final whistle. 

Good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment