Saturday, August 17, 2013

NCAA 14 Has Arrived (to my apartment)

So I am back from Florida and have finally picked up NCAA 14. I spent most of yesterday in the tutorials and playbook editor, putting together some formations and concepts I like to use, and then I spent today on the practice field before finally playing my first online matches this evening.

Some quick thoughts on the game. The physics engine feels and looks pretty smooth, though there are frequent odd configurations of players (many players end plays stacked liked linkin logs). The playbooks have been reworked quite a bit; a lot of draw plays have been taken out, and a lot more read-option stuff has been inserted.

On that note, the work the designers did on the option offense in all its forms really shows in the gameplay. I've loved the read-option for a few years now, but so far it looks like the read-option will be a chief staple of my offense. Mainly because I can't throw the ball yet.

Game 1
Opponent: Xxepickiller3Xx
Record: 3-7
Team: LSU

Took me a while to realize this guy was an Epic Killer, not an e-pick iller. Also, he has either killed 3 epics, or he is three times more epic a killer than the usual killer. It's not clear.

Anyway, he only ran Shotgun Ace: TE Cross or Shotgun Ace: HB Draw all game (by all game I mean all 1st quarter). He did not punt, only ran his play again. It was weird. I was up 14-0 at the outset of the 2nd quarter when he quit.

But seriously, I can't throw the ball. Threw two picks, one completion, and ran for 37 yards (remember this guy didn't punt).

Game 2
Opponent: squirrelballer
Record: 1-0
Team: Oregon

Playing someone who is 1-0 is always a little nervewracking. They might be awesome, but just starting out. Squirrelballer was not awesome; but he might get there one day. He seemed to be running Oregon's offense, more or less, but gave up on the run almost immediately. Then he threw 8 INT's.

I had 11 completions on 11 attempts, and only 2 of those completions were to the defense! Hurray! More importantly, I had 139 yards on the ground, and 105 from my QB; the read-option really works. You've just got to pick your spots. Throw to put the defense in man, then run against it (because man coverage is especially susceptible to read-options, as it makes assignments really easy to figure out. If the defense is in zone or even just blitzing, it can throw off your reads and your offensive line's blocks.)

We played the whole game, ended 28-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment